Courtney and Eleanor discuss some of the major historical events, writers, and genres that shaped the early to mid-Victorian period.
Resources for this episode included:
- Sally Mitchell’s Victorian Britain: An Encyclopedia
- Timeline of Victorian Legislation on Victorian Web
- Stats from At the Circulating Library
- Alexandre Dumas’s publications
- The Oxford (or High Church) Movement
- Read The Lifted Veil at the George Eliot Archive
- Read open access scholarship about The Lifted Veil on George Eliot Scholars
You should be listening to:
Courtney’s fiction podcast! The Way We Haunt Now is a lighthearted horror audio drama about friendship, found family, and fighting the narratives that try to define us – even in the afterlife. One of the central characters is Victorian ghost, Frances “Frankie” Matilda Summerson.
Support Victorian Scribblers by contributing to their tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/victorian-scribblers