Eleanor and Courtney discuss the life of cookery revolutionary, Eliza Acton.
Read Eliza Acton’s Work
- UPenn’s Online Books Page featuring all digitized editions of her work
- Poems (1826)
- Modern Cookery (1845)
Resources for this episode included:
- Asa Briggs. Victorian Things
- Sheila Hardy. The Real Mrs Beeton: The Story of Eliza Acton (would not recommend tbh)
- Elizabeth Ray’s “Acton, Eliza (1799-1859)” in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- and this article in The Guardian
You should be listening to:
Horse Girls, a podcast in which hosts Alex, Jenna, and Tim take a canter down memory lane to revisit all of those horse girl books they read growing up. Find the pod on Twitter @HorseGirlsCast
Support Victorian Scribblers by contributing to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/victorian-scribblers